Frequently Asked Questions
Ordering FurnitureQ. How safe is ordering Furniture on www.oakea.co.uk?
Ordering is completely safe. All information you give us online is encrypted, and this is verified daily with our VERISIGN Seal. Just in case you are still worried over security issues online, you can also order over the phone. Please note that in most cases you can choose to pay on delivery by Chip and Pin, our drivers carry mobile card machines for your security. When you order you just select the option for Pay on Delivery, and complete your order. You do not have to input any card details, or pay a deposit.
Q. What do you charge for delivery?
Free Delivery applies:
- on orders above £300 to any mainland England & Wales;
- to Herefordshire, Worcestershire & Gloucestershire - regardless the total amount of good(s) as we are based in Hereford.
- £20 for orders below £300 to any mainland England & Wales, except Herefordshire, Worcestershire & Gloucestershire;
- £50 to Scotland regardless of the total amount of good(s).
- £29 for weekend delivery to any mainland England & Wales
Q. How do I place an order?
- On the phone
You can call call us on 0333 666 2532 Monday to Saturday 9am - 5pm. It is helpful if you note the code(s) of the item(s) you wish to order, before calling.
- Add the item(s) of Furniture to your shopping basket.
Once an item is added to the basket, the basket will appear in the top left corner, regardless of the page you are on. TIP: If you wish to order more than one of an item (Could be 6 Chairs for a Dining Set or 2 Bedside tables), you can add the same item to the basket several times. You can also amend the quantity at the next stage.
- Click on the ‘View Basket’ Button, which is situated immediately under the basket in the top left corner. You will see a list of the furniture you have chosen. TIP: You can change the quantity per item underneath the ‘Update’ header – don’t forget to click the red ‘Update’ Icon next to the quantity field.
- When you are happy that the content in the basket is correct, click the ‘Checkout’ Button. Fill in the Invoice address details. TIP: Normally the delivery address is the same as the Invoice address. You can ‘Click to use Invoice Address’ to automatically fill the delivery address fields, saving you typing the address in again. If the delivery address is different to the invoice address, simply fill in the delivery address fields manually.
- Click ‘Continue’ at the bottom of the page. You will see a complete overview of your order. Please check the details. If anything needs amending, please use the back button.
- Click ‘Continue’ which will take you to the payment page. Now you have 2 payment options:
- Pay Now – Choose this option for convenience. It's the method used by the vast majority of online purchases. Your payment is processed, done and dusted and you don't have to deal with it, when your delivery arrives. We accept all major UK registered Credit- and Debit Cards, except for American Express. Please enter your card details in the relevant boxes. Remember to tick the box called ‘accept terms and conditions’. In order to read the terms and conditions, click on the text next to the box.
- Pay on delivery – As a unique service, our vans are issued with Chip & Pin devices and you can pay by card to the driver on delivery, exactly as you would pay in the shop. You can also pay by Cheque or Cash.
- When you have accepted the terms and conditions and clicked your preferred payment option, your order will be received by our end instantly and you will receive an instant acknowledgement.
- If you have any special instructions or important information, about access to your property or certain times when you are unavailable for example, please tell us in the box.for additional information.
- Add the item(s) of Furniture to your shopping basket.
- By email to email@example.com
Please specify the codes of the furniture you wish to order, as published on the website.
- By Fax to 0872 115 4841 Please specify the codes of the furniture you wish to order, as published on the website.
Q. Will I receive an order confirmation?
When you place an order online, you will receive an instant confirmation by email, normally confirming that your furniture is in stock and will be delivered within two weeks. If one or more items are temporarily out of stock, it will be in transit. If this is the case, then it will be notified in your email confirmation as well.
Q. Can I make changes to my order?
Yes you can! At any time right up to dispatch, you can make any changes you like at no extra charge. This is quite unique for OAKEA.
Q. How do I measure properly?
It is important to check that your furniture will go into your room before placing your order. All dimensions given on the web site are measured on the longest/deepest/highest point. For example if there is an overhang on the top plate, the width will specify the top width, not the body of the item.
Q. Can you tell me the availability of a specific item?
The website will tell you in real time the quantity of each item held in stock at any given time. We have a pledge to always hold everything in stock. Of course, in reality it is impossible never to fall down on this promise, as we cannot know exactly what people buy in the next period. But we still consider it a failure if an item is out of stock, and as a patch on the wound you will get an extra 10% discount if an item is ordered whilst out of stock. The stock figures are accurate, but if we have sold two or more of the same item within a few hours, then this may not be updated. If you want extra reassurance on stock availability, you can call us on 0333 666 2532 Monday to Saturday 9AM – 5PM, and we will be able to give you an instant answer.Q. Do you price match?
Yes we do! If you do find the SAME item cheaper from a registered retailer we will happily match the price – taking the alternative retailers delivery cost or other added costs into account.
Q. Do you offer any Discount
Prices on the OAKEA website are GUARANTEED to be the lowest in the country like-for-like. If you can demonstrate that you can buy the SAME furniture cheaper from another recognised retailer, then we will match the price, after taking delivery costs or other ancillary costs into consideration.
Q. Where do you deliver?
We deliver to mainland England and Wales, and offer third party delivery to Scotland. We are unable to deliver outside of these areas as we cannot offer an after sales service in other regions.
Q. How long will my delivery take?
We deliver 90 % of orders within 2 weeks, as long as the item is in stock it is likely your order will be one of the 90%. Occasionally this may go beyond the two weeks, this will normally be due to circumstances beyond our control - but we promise that we will be working hard to get your items to you as quickly as we can.
Q. Where is my order?
If you wish to check the delivery of your order, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us on 0333 666 2532, which we will reply within 48 hours. If you phone, we can normally let you know instantly where your order is in the planning process.
Q. What if my order is late?
Occasionally a delivery goes slightly beyond the two weeks we promise. This will always be caused by circumstances beyond our control, such as severe weather conditions, and unforeseen emergencies. We will keep you posted, and make sure that such delays are limited to days, rather than weeks.
Q. Can you hold furniture for us if we are not ready to accept delivery?
Yes we can! We have no problem being flexible and work around your requirements. Not the other way around.
Q. Will you assemble my furniture?
As a rule of thumb: No. This is not because we don’t want to, but because everything is delivered from our Hereford Warehouse. So our delivery runs cover many miles, and there is not enough time to do assembly jobs as well.
Q. Will you deliver to a room of my choice?
There is usually one man on the van. We only have one man on the van to ensure that prices are kept to a minimum. Please note that our delivery charges do not even cover the cost of the driver. That said, we are helpful in any way possible.
There is a sack truck on the van, and the driver will take the furniture to any room on the ground floor, as long as it is safe to do so. If you need help to get the furniture upstairs, our driver will help you as well, but usually there will need to be another pair of hands your end.
Our drivers are always very careful, but if the driver does bring furniture inside your home or if they do any additional unpacking, this is done at your own risk - please make sure the room is clear of anything that could break, and make sure the floor is clear from obstacles, and any delicate flooring is covered.
Q. Will you unpack the furniture and take the packaging away?
As a rule of thumb, no. This is a conscious policy in place to save costs for you as a customer. Our delivery routes cover hundreds of miles and have multiple drops - meaning the driver simply does not have the time to deliver your furniture and take away packaging. If we weren't able to deliver as many items in one route, prices would have to go up. Additionally, most councils have a system for households to dispose of packaging for free. Once it becomes disposal of business waste, it becomes expensive. So the question for us is: Should we dispose of the packaging, and pass the cost onto our customers, resulting in higher prices, or should we let customers dispose of it for free, and keep prices low. To us, the answer is obvious, and we hope you agree.
Q. What happens if I am out when you deliver?
This should never happen, since we only deliver after we have phoned you and agreed the time of delivery. You will get this phone call agreeing the time 24-48 hours prior to delivery.
Our drivers are instructed to call the next customers, every time a delivery is completed, so you will be kept informed during the day. If you must go out, please let us know, and we will always do everything we can to make sure your delivery is as convenient as possible. If, however, for whatever reason, a delivery attempt fails, we will leave a message for you and reschedule for the next time we are in the area. We will not charge for the costs we have incurred from a failed delivery, but we would appreciate if you could work with us, to prevent this from happening.
We are also able to leave your furniture in a garage, a shed or other weatherproof location that you specify. When we do this, our driver will describe your garage, shed or other facility, for example by making a note of what is in there, as a proof that we have delivered to the right place.
Q. Can I nominate a day or time for delivery?
Generally, this is difficult, purely because we delivery so quickly that we have no way of knowing weeks in advance which other orders are on the van, delivering your furniture. Whilst we are always trying to be as accommodating and as flexible as possible, we cannot always pin delivery down to a specific day in advance. HOWEVER, if specifying a day or time is important to you, please let us know your requirements, and we will try to build a delivery run around your request. The bigger your order, the easier this is to accommodate.
Q. Do you deliver weekends?
We are pleased to now offer weekend delivery to England & Wales. Simply add weekend delivery during the checkout process, or ask in store for more information.
Q. Can you take my old furniture away?
No, unfortunately we do not have the facility to dispose of old furniture. Also, our drivers are our on long runs in relatively small vans, ensuring access to all types of properties, so there is not space on the van for return goods, as they would be in the way of the orders to be delivered after yours.
Q. Can OAKEA hold my order until I am ready for delivery?
Yes we can! We have it in stock anyway, so if you wish to postpone a delivery, this is not a problem at all. It only becomes a problem if you change your mind after delivery has been arranged with you. Please also note that we can offer to keep your furniture for as long as you like (within reason), even if we haven’t taken any deposits up front.
Q. What if my furniture does not fit?
When ordering furniture it is important to check that it will fit into your house and your room. Please check all doors, stairways and the space it has to go into carefully. If the worst happens and it really won’t fit in, you can always return it. This would, however, need to be within 30 days of the delivery date, and the furniture will need to be repacked in perfect condition in the original packaging.
If at all practical, we will collect your furniture free of charge, but we do reserve the right to charge the cost of collection, if your location is such that a collection will result in us incurring substantial costs as a result of the collection.
Q. Can I order online and collect from your warehouse?
Yes, we would love to see you here and show you around at the same time. You can also collect, without having ordered your furniture in advance. However, please call us and make sure the furniture you wish to collect is in stock before making the journey.
Q. Do you deliver overseas?
No, not at the moment.
Q. What about inspection for damages, and what if the furniture is damaged?
You can inspect the furniture on delivery, but we do not require that you do so immiedately. It is very rare that damages occur, simply because we are usually the only company handling the furniture, since we deliver using our own vehicles and drivers, except for very long distance deliveries.
Should you find any damages, these need to be notified to us within 7 days of delivery.
Faulty items will be replaced as soon as possible and usually within two weeks. This is the procedure, which we will follow, in case of a claim:
- Verification and assessment: We will require a digital image of the damage.
- If we agree that the item is damaged, we will arrange for a replacement. We will normally suggest that you use the damaged item until the replacement arrives, which will normally be within 2 weeks – same delivery time as a normal order. We suggest that you use the damaged item to save you any further inconvenience.
- If we do not agree that the item is damaged – and the only reason we have come across this to date is that a customer is unhappy with natural grain structure or colour variance appearing on the natural material solid wood is, or the distressing which is part of our rustic designs – we will decline the claim. In this case, we will treat it as a regretted purchase, and refund you in full. We will normally be able to collect the furniture free of charge, but reserve the right to charge the actual cost, if OAKEA incurs unreasonable cost due to - for example – your geographical location. Should the regretted purchase situation apply, we need notification of this within 14 days of invoice date.
- In some cases, if damages are notified within 7 days of invoice date, we will agree to pay the cost of – for example a French Polisher, or a local joiner – to come a repair the furniture. We may also, following verification, process a part refund, for you to keep the furniture as it is, if this can be agreed with you. We do, however, reserve the right to decline this, and replace the unit for a new one.
Q. How do I pay for my Goods?
Our payment policy is uniquely safe and convenient for the furniture industry - or indeed for any online shopping. It is designed to give you absolute peace of mind when ordering furniture from OAKEA. If you paid online, the amount will be deducted immediately whether or not the item(s) in stock. If you ordered on the phone, NO MONEY WILL CHANGE HANDS UNTIL WE confirmed the delivery date. If you opted for the COD, no down payment is required. You only need to pay to our driver when he delivers the item(s). This applies whether you want us to hold onto it for while, or whether you want it delivered quickly.
There are so many horror stories out there, of money having been paid up front and the furniture being delayed time and time again. Then, when they want to cancel, the customer is told that they are tied into a legally binding contract.
If you wish (This applies for the 95 % of our deliveries made by our own vehicles) You can pay to the driver cheque, cash, and you can now also pay by Card (Chip and Pin) as we now have mobile payment terminals on the vans. We believe that the OAKEA website is the only Furniture website, where you can order WITHOUT leaving any payment details for us to accept and process your order. And as such, it is indisputably the most secure website to order furniture from in the country.
Please note that, as a limitation to our ‘liberal’ payment policy, we are unable to leave furniture with you, if it is not paid for.
Q. Will I get a receipt for the payment and an invoice for the Furniture?
Yes, we will deliver a VAT invoice with the furniture, and where the furniture is paid by card, we will deliver the card receipt as well.
If you request it, the driver will sign for the payment, when you pay on delivery.